Valneva is a specialty vaccine company focused on the development and commercialization of prophylactic vaccines for infectious diseases with significant unmet medical need. Valneva has leveraged its expertise and capabilities both to successfully commercialize two vaccines and to rapidly advance a broad range of vaccine candidates into and through the clinic, including candidates against Lyme disease, the chikungunya virus and COVID-19.
Valneva has operations in Austria, Sweden, the United Kingdom, France, Canada and the U.S. with over 650 employees.
An opportunity has arisen for a Medical Science Liaison UK profesional to join our Corporate Medical Affairs team.
Medical Science Liaison (MSL) directly reports into the Head of Medical Affairs UK. The MSL represents Valneva UK for Valneva’s own as well as third-party distribution products. The function shall establish Valneva as a vaccine and travel disease partner across all relevant stakeholders with the mission to improve practice of Travel Medicine in UK. Further, the MSL will serve as partner for Valneva UK’s internal functions and will participate in local brand team meetings. A key focus of this position will be the identification and relationship building with new KOLs in the areas of travel medicine and COVID-19.
Purpose of the Role
- To provide medical, scientific and public health expertise related to vaccinology, vaccines and immunization programs to the Valneva country team to support vaccines-related Valneva activities and the achievement of objectives in the areas of registration and reimbursement, marketing, market access, supply, communications and others.
- To provide expert input into the development of the scientific content of all events and communication targeting the audience of healthcare professionals, public health authorities, to ensure scientific quality as well as compliance to the MA code and the highest standards of medical ethics.
- To serve as liaison to global Valneva Development and Medical Affairs colleagues to obtain required scientific and medical affairs support.
- To serve as the internal and external expert on Valneva investigational and marketed vaccines within the UK.
- To represent Valneva within the scientific communities of the UK.
Main Responsibilities of this Role
- To support the organization and conduct of vaccine educational events, advisory board meetings, closed research updates and other events, communication with governments, healthcare professionals, media and consumers, preparation and dissemination of promotional messages in any medium (printed, audiovisual, etc.) by ensuring that all scientific data is accurate, complete, balanced and adequately referenced, that material is of high quality, and that all requirements of the respective industry association codes are observed (i.e., ABPI code of conduct).
- Ensure timely responses to medical and consumer queries in close interaction with the global MA functions with consistent medical information.
- To serve as the internal and external expert on Valneva investigational and marketed vaccines within the UK as participant in discussions with authorities and health professionals, public health, presenter of Valneva scientific data at scientific meetings, Trainer of Valneva colleagues.
- To actively engage the UK medical/scientific/public health community who are stakeholders, or involved or interested in vaccines and immunization, and to represent the views of Valneva to them as a colleague and peer, including advocacy for immunization in general, expert communication of data relating to Valneva vaccines in particular.
- To collaborate with global and local colleagues and to provide any necessary medical input to support the preparation and submission to the authorities of applications for vaccine registration, and the submission of applications for vaccine funding.
- To evaluate opportunities for participation of UK researchers in global vaccine clinical trials and epidemiology studies conducted by Valneva Development, to assist in selection of researchers and research sites for studies allocated to the UK.
- To provide input on local epidemiology, local immunization schedules and recommendations, medical and market access needs in order to ensure UK perspectives are considered in global clinical development plans, as well as plans for regulatory & health outcome dossier preparation and submission.
- To be responsible and accountable for the execution of the UK Medical Affairs plan and achievement of objectives.
- Medical (MD), Pharmacy or other Life Sciences degree (PhD) with background in immunology or infectious diseases (virology, microbiology)
- Minimum of 1 year relevant professional experience in the pharmaceutical industry, public health or infectious diseases area (no experience for junior position required)
- Vaccines related training or experience is an advantage
- Knowledge of ABPI code of conduct
- Willingness to travel within the UK or internationally, approx. 50% of the time
- Proven ability to create and sustain peer-to-peer relationships with key opinion leaders
- Ability to comprehend and interpret clinical and pre-clinical data, understand the process of that research and of pharmaceutical product development and approval
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks
- Excellent English communication and presentation skills
- Dynamic team worker with excellent interpersonal skills to build up a network of internal and external stakeholders
- Decision-making, proactive problem-solving and accountability
- Understanding of academic and private company culture