Valneva is a speciality vaccine company focused on the development and commercialization of prophylactic vaccines for infectious diseases with significant unmet medical need. Valneva has leveraged its expertise and capabilities both to successfully commercialize two vaccines and to rapidly advance a broad range of vaccine candidates into and through the clinic, including candidates against Lyme disease, the chikungunya virus and COVID-19.
Valneva has operations in Austria, Sweden, the United Kingdom, France, Canada and the U.S. with over 750 employees.
As part of our ongoing recruitment and growth plans we now have a new position for an experienced audit/ internal audit professional with experience of supporting to SOX standards.
Role summary: The ideal Internal Controls Specialist – SOX is an effective team collaborator who is responsible for assisting in the execution of the annual Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 compliance efforts
- Assist in planning of SOX program in terms of scope, and work program of individual processes or systems
- Evaluate risk and likely sources of potential financial misstatement for key operational processes
- Apply and assess financial reporting impact based on knowledge of Accounting Principles (e.g., IFRS, GAAP)
- Partner with company financial, operational and information technology groups to conduct walkthroughs, assess control design, and test control operating effectiveness for processes across the organization, with a focus on new transactions, significant changes, or other areas of high risk
- Execute SOX Program Management responsibilities including the coordination, execution and monitoring of controls testing, exceptions and remediation
- Document test results in form of workpapers and give support for an informed, objective opinion of the risk exposure
- Conduct follow-up on both open and past due SOX observations on a regular basis
- Act as a liaison to the company’s external auditors on their annual audit and the company’s SOX program
- Drive control optimization and automation opportunities, data analytics and process improvements
- Assist in the periodic update and distribution of corporate governance documents (including quarterly 302 questionnaires and control self-assessments)
- 3-5 years of SOX, financial audit, internal audit, or related internal controls required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business or related discipline(s) required.
- Strong understanding of IFRS, US GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley required.
- Prior experience with ERP (Microsoft Dynamics AX) and an internal controls management
- software (Auditboard) preferable.
- Job relevant certification a plus (e.g., CPA, CIA)
- Strong communication skills presenting internal control and risk matters in an understandable
- way across various forums and levels of the organization with the right level of detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including sound presentational skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a
- virtual/international team
- Adaptable to working in a fast paced, ever-changing environment
- Striving for continuous improvement and optimization
- Ability to work well independently as well as the ability to work well with stakeholders and
- communicate the benefits of tax initiatives.
- Flexibility in resolving issues and addressing changing priorities
- The ideal candidate is a critical thinker internal control environment. They are organized with
- excellent analytical and problem-solving skills